The SOCCSKSARGEN region may never cross one’s mind when it comes to the ideal getaway, but trust me, one will be surprised to see and experience the tons of things and thrills this region in Mindanao in the Philippines has to offer. Region 12, commonly known as SOCCSKSARGEN (that’s South Cotabato, Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Sarangani and General Santos City) has a lot of things to boast for. In this blog, I will give you the many things that you will discover in the land that deserve be part of your next getaway. I hope that you put your prejudices aside and give this wonderful region a chance to be explored by your itchy feet.
1. Explore Gensan and its unique offeringsGeneral Santos City (Gensan) is the jump-off point and getaway to the various destinations in the region. It is the home of the famous boxing legend Manny Pacquiao and the best and biggest tuna in the land. While here, you can sample the best tuna delicacies in Sarangani Highlands, a restaurant overlooking the Sarangani Bay. If you are in for more seafood, you can drop by Tiongson Arcade, a street that has an array of food selections where one can. It is famous for their pork barbecue! Yum!
2. Head to Maitum, Sarangani Province for White Water River TubingIf you want some adrenaline, then this activity is perfect for you! Maitum’s river tubing uses an old school salbabida (flotation device) attached to another. You will have guide during the ride so it’s absolutely safe. You will be surrounded by beautiful nature while having a thrilling white water river tubing ride.
3. Bum at the beaches in Gumasa Beach (Glan, Sarangani)One of the things Sarangani is very proud of is the beautiful beaches of Gumasa. With its white sand beach and clear blue waters, this beach town offers a sense of solitude for those who are looking for a fresh respite away from the crowd. But if you want some action and some booze, this place transforms into an ultimate party destination every first week of June for Sarbay Fest.
4. Sample the best halo-halo in KoronadalThere are many halo-halo vendors in Koronadal City but there is one that stands out from the rest. Apareja’s Buko (coconut) halo-halo is unique and has a different flare. I personally love the jackfruit and banana they put in their halo-halo. This awesome snack is great any time of the day!
5. Zipline at 7 Waterfalls (Lake Sebu, South Cotabato)From Koronadal, Lake Sebu is another 45-minute ride. During the trip, you will pass by the various municipalities of South Cotabato. But upon reaching your destination, you will be welcomed by tall waterfalls surrounded by lush greeneries. What to do here? Do not miss the exhilarating and most scenic zipline ride! The Seven Falls Zipline is 740 metres high and 460 metres wide of wild ride fun is arguably and is probably the best in the country.
6. Dive at Lemlunay Resort (Maasim, Sarangani Province)Sarangani Bay also boasts great wonders down under and the best place to discover it is through diving at Lemlunay Resort in Maasim. Be amazed with the rich marine biodiversity present in this area. Many foreign tourists flock this spot as it indeed world class!So there you have it, the top six activities you shouldn’t miss in Region 12. I hope these inspire to explore and open yourself up to great travel opportunities in Mindanao!