I couldn’t count how many times I’ve been to Davao City. Aside from the fact that I lived here once (or twice) in the past, and went to live from one city to another, I still find myself visiting, re-visiting, over and over again.
Who can blame me? Aside from the inevitable traffic (which got worse each time, by the way) and the number of friends I have here, there are still many reasons why I love coming back to Davao. Here are just some of them:
1. It stands true to it’s slogan “Life Is Here”Davao is among the most awarded city in the Philippines. It has been cited as one of the Top 20 Most Liveable Cities in Asia; one of the Cleanest and Greenest Highly-Urbanised City, The Most Child Friendly City in the Philippines, Most Competitive City to Do Business in the Philippines, Best Peace and Order Council in the Philippines and so much more!Just recently, it ranked as the ninth safest city in the world! Most importantly, it is also one of only three places in the world, aside from the US and Canada, to have an integrated Emergency Response System 911 (take note, it’s free!). You can safely walk around the city (if you’re a minor, you can only stay late at night when accompanied by your guardians).Clearly, the city gives importance to the safety and well-being of its people so they can enjoy life.
2. Beautiful beaches are just minutes awayThe Island Garden City of Samal is a beautiful island where you can do various water activities such as swimming, diving, snorkelling and more! You can also do island hopping and enjoy some quality time with your friends and family. What is so great about all these?! The island is just half-hour away from Davao City! If you have a few hours to spare in the city, you can arrange these activities without risking missing your flight!
3. There’s space for everyone!Weekends mean going to the parks and exploring local sights. Families will enjoy the huge playground in People’s Park where children can run around until they run out of breath. There’s also weekly Zumba session on Saturday mornings for free. They can also go other attractions such as Gap Farm, Eden Nature Park and Resort or Malagos Garden Resort for a quick nature get-away.
4. Your food choices are endlessDavao is like the fruit basket of Mindanao. There are so many fruits all year ‘round among them are durian, mangosteen, rambutan, and a lot more! There are also many homegrown restaurants to choose from that have been here for many years. My personal favourites are the Ahfat Seafood Plaza, Yellowfin and Dencia’s. There are also a lot of burgeoning restaurants making their names in the Davao food scene. Every time I come here, friends would always tell me to try a new resto in town.
5. It’s a jump-off point to many destinations in MindanaoIf you are tired of the city, you can always take trips to nearby towns to enjoy new atmosphere. Davao is a gateway to may jewel destinations in Mindanao such as Bukidnon, Cagayan De Oro, Iligan, Surigao and many many more!